Men's shearling leather jackets have long symbolized style and luxury. Shearling leather jackets offer many benefits, including a soft, plush texture, unbeatable warmth, and versatile style. But don't let "soft" and "plush" give you the wrong impression – these jackets are also rugged and durable.
Shearling is a resilient material that can withstand the test of time. The term "shearling" refers to the skin of a sheep or lamb that has been shorn once and then tanned with the wool intact. Combining the leather on one side and the soft, insulating wool on the other makes shearling ideal for cold-weather garments. The natural oils in shearling help it retain moisture, making it resistant to cracking and helping preserve its suppleness over time. With proper care and maintenance, shearling leather jackets can last for decades, making them a long-term investment in style and functionality.
Shearling leather jackets are also surprisingly breathable, considering how insulating the material is. The natural fibers allow air to circulate, preventing overheating and excessive perspiration. This breathability is particularly beneficial when transitioning between different temperatures, keeping you comfortable in different seasons.
Take our Shearling Leather Bomber Jacket, for example. Available in brown and black, it's a men's shearling leather jacket with a distressed finish as rugged and iconic as the battle-ready captains of the sky. The classic aviator style pairs well with our first-class craftsmanship and thoughtful features like high-quality YKK zippers, twin side-entry hand pockets, and an adjustable snap button at the waist. (We've also conveniently hidden a single interior chest pocket.)
CARING FOR YOUR SHEARLING LEATHER JACKET
A men's shearling leather jacket is a timeless investment, but proper care and maintenance are crucial to ensuring you get the most out of your jacket. See below for five essential tips for properly caring for a shearling leather jacket (and be sure to shop our leather care products for our premium, easy-to-use cleaner and conditioner).
*Always spot-check each step before proceeding with the full jacket!
Tip 1: Learn the Shearling Basics
Before diving into care tips, it helps to understand shearling as a material. Shearling is a natural material made from the skin and wool of a sheep or lamb. It possesses exceptional insulation properties, providing warmth without the bulk. It's important to note that shearling requires a different care approach compared to other materials like cow leather or fabric.
Tip 2: Cleaning
Properly cleaning your shearling jacket is essential for maintaining its appearance and longevity. Regularly brush off any dirt or debris with a soft-bristle brush. Use a damp cloth or sponge to gently spot-clean light soils. Avoid harsh chemicals, solvents, or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the shearling.
Tip 3: Dealing with Stains
If your shearling leather jacket encounters a stubborn stain, it's best to seek professional assistance. Professional cleaners specializing in leather or shearling garments can effectively remove stains while preserving the integrity of the material. Act quickly and avoid attempting to remove the stain yourself so you don’t cause further damage.
Tip 4: Drying
If your shearling leather jacket becomes wet, allow it to air dry naturally. Avoid using direct heat sources such as hairdryers or heaters, as they can cause the shearling to become stiff or crack. Hang the jacket in a well-ventilated area, away from sunlight, until completely dry. Gently reshape the jacket with your hands while it dries to prevent distortion.
Tip 5: Conditioning
We recommend periodic conditioning to maintain the shearling's softness and suppleness. Use a specialized shearling conditioner or a mild leather conditioner to moisturize the material. Apply a small amount to a clean, soft cloth and rub it gently into the shearling in a circular motion. Allow the conditioner to absorb for a few minutes before wiping off any excess.
Bonus Tip: Professional Cleaning and Maintenance
For thorough cleaning and maintenance, it's wise to have your shearling jacket professionally serviced once a year or as needed. Professional cleaners with expertise in shearling garments can remove deep-seated dirt, replenish the natural oils, and ensure the jacket is in optimal condition.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How do you store shearling leather jackets?
You probably won't store your jacket much because you'll wear it everywhere! But seasonally, it's normal to store it for a while, and properly doing that will help keep the shearling leather healthy and the jacket in good shape. Store the coat in a cool, well-ventilated area away from heat sources and direct sunlight, and hang it on a wide, padded hanger to preserve its shape and avoid compressing. If storing for an extended period, consider using a breathable garment bag to protect the jacket from dust and pests.
2. How should you style a men’s shearling leather jacket?
However you want. But if you want some ideas, here are 3 of our favorite shearling leather jacket outfits for men:
- Flannel + Denim: Combine your shearling jacket with a soft flannel shirt. Then, add straight-leg denim jeans and rugged leather boots for a classic, vintage look.
- Trucker Hat + Boots: Layer our shearling jacket over a sturdy thermal base layer, then add canvas utility pants, leather hiking boots, and a trucker hat for functional style.
- Graphic Tee + Jeans: Blend classic style with a modern touch by wearing our shearling leather jacket over a well-made graphic tee. Pair it with slim-fit jeans for a clean look.
3. How do you choose a men’s shearling leather jacket?
Choosing the right jacket involves a few considerations to be sure it meets your needs, style preferences, and budget.
- Quality: Generally speaking, look for soft, supple, and well-tanned jackets made from high-quality shearling. It's important to note that the quality of shearling can also depend on the techniques employed by the jacket manufacturer. Attention to detail, skillful tailoring, and high-quality materials contribute to a shearling jacket's overall quality and durability.
- Style and Fit: Consider the style and fit that work for you. Shearling jackets come in various cuts, including bomber jackets and field jackets. Determine whether you prefer a more trim or relaxed fit, and also pay attention to sleeve length, collar design, and closures (such as buttons, zippers, or snaps) to ensure they suit you.
- Color and Finish: Shearling jackets are available in various colors, from traditional neutrals like brown and black to more contemporary options like gray or dyed variations. Consider the finish (smooth or distressed leather or a suede-like texture) and decide which color and finish appeal to you more.
- Climate and Purpose: Some men’s shearling leather jackets are designed for extreme cold weather, while others offer lighter insulation suitable for milder temperatures. Consider whether you need a coat primarily for outdoor activities or for everyday wear, as this can impact the desired weight and level of warmth.
- Budget: Determine your budget range for a shearling jacket and explore options within that range. Prices can vary depending on the quality of shearling, brand, and craftsmanship. Remember that investing in a higher-quality shearling jacket can offer greater longevity and value in the long run. For example, start with these considerations and stick with a reputable brand like Buffalo Jackson.